What you need to know.
Saturday, January 19
Location: Kell High School, 4770 Lee Waters Road, Marietta, 30066
1. 1:45 assemble for parade (be there between 1:15 and 1:30)
2. 2:00 Welcome and Parade of Teams
3. 2:15 Opening ceremonies
4. 2:30 Competition Begins
· At no time during the actual round may the team consult with the coach, with one another, or have a time-out.
· Any concern about an answer to a question MUST be addressed by one of the five currently competing students to the COACH before the next question is asked.
· Coaches stay with your team. (A coaches chair will be provided directly behind your team.) Coach: Use your discretion when allowing a student challenge. You are to direct any challenges and ask any questions, not a team member, a parent, or other visitor.
· A challenge can only be initiated by a player.
· A coach cannot initiate a challenge
PROTOCOL FOR CHALLENGES
The student will get the attention of the coach by raising their hand.
The student will quietly tell the coach their concern.
The coach will determine if the concern needs to be addressed as a challenge.
Upcoming Helen Ruffin meeting dates through December break:
Tuesday, September 18; October 2; October 16 and October 30; November 13; November 27; December 11.
The competition is January 19, 2019
Several years ago, Mrs. Helen Ruffin, a library media specialist in DeKalb County, created a reading challenge using the nominee books from the Georgia Children’s Book Awards to encourage her students to read.
Today, the Georgia Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl is open to students in grades four through twelve across the state. The winning teams from the Divisional Bowls meet at the Annual Conference on Children’s Literature in March for the State Championship of the Georgia Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl.
To participate in the Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl, elementary and middle school students must read the current Georgia Children’s Book Award Nominees. The Georgia Book Award Nominees is the Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl’s official reading list.
Helen Ruffin Reading List
1. The Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora, Pablo Cartaya (Lexile = 750L)
2. We Will Not Be Silent: The White Rose Student Resistance Movement that Defied Adolf Hitler, Russell Freedman (Lexile = 630L)
3. Refugee, Alan Gratz (Lexile = 630L)
4. Turning 15 on the Road to Freedom: My Story of the 1965 Selma Voting Rights March, Lowery, Leacock and Buckley (Lexile = 780L)
5. Click Here to Start, Denis Markell (Lexile = 670L)
6. Ghost, Jason Reynolds (Lexile 730L)
7. Undefeated: Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian School Football Team, Steve Sheinkin (Lexile = 980L)
8. Hoodoo, Ronald Smith (Lexile = 600L)
9. The Ethan I was Before, Ali Standish (Lexile = 730L)
10. Karma Khullar's Mustache, Kristi Wientge (Lexile = 820L)